Problems Frist part / Primera parte sobre problemas

August 24, 2005
After a few days of sickness I am back on track… I’ve done some exercises, but not as much as I would like to… I hope that I can study hard the rest of the week, because yesterday I was taking a look to the rest of the arithmetic’s book, and I still have a long way to go, and If I want to accomplish my goal of finishing the math review by this year I need to study harder.

Here is the recap of what I’ve done so far… The first set of exercises was about those kind of problems where you have two different amounts and you have the difference and addition, and you have to find out the quantities and also with ages. In this set, I got 12 questions and 2 were wrong (hit rate: 84% right, 16% wrong). The problem was that I got those problems in a bad way, with a wrong scope. The thing is that I got the main idea right, but some things were taking wrong, like for instance instead of adding, I subtracted.

The other two sets were about those problems of two times something kind of stuff and ages again… those problems were good, and I got them all fine, what I think that I did right is that I was really concentrated, and with any distractions. In total I solved 12 exercises (hit rate: 100% right).

The other two sets were about those problems were a car comes from some city and goes to the other and the other one goes to the same city, but from some other city and goes to the same place but parts from a different hour, and from all the problems, that I have worked on this is the first set that I can really tell that I enjoyed. This was a really interesting set, and I loved learning about all this stuff. In total I got 15 problems, and I got 3 wrong.(hit rate 20% wrong and 80% right) One of the mistakes was really silly, a careless addition error. The other two were errors that made me really worried, because one, was that I didn’t read the problem right, and I did a complete different thing, so of course the answer was wrong. The other problem is that I did all of the things right, all of the analysis right, but I gave other different answer, what I mean is that I answered a complete different thing that the problem asked. (Let’s say for instance that I said that I answered about the amount of Kilometers, and the problem asked for the amount of hours) I think that all of these problems came out of lack of concentration. I REALLY HAVE TO WORK ON THAT AREA!

The other two sets were about all those problems, when you have some bags with money and then you want to know how much money you had on those bags, the other set was one of those horrible exercises, when you had some money at the beginning, and you loose some, you gain some but you have to find out how much money did you had at the beginning of some days…. That last set of problems, was really hard for me, I think that it was in part the fact that I was very tired from the office…. Amount of problems: 9. Problems wrong 3. (hit rate: 33% wrong, 77% right.) the other thing problem is that in one really easy exercise, I confused one of the names of the answers that I had to give, so, the other recommendation is not to be too confident about easy exercises, you have to treat them all has hard.

PS: Does anybody here know how to add files to the blog? I have a lot of good GMAT stuff, but I just don’t know how to enter it into the blog.



Después de unos días de enfermedad, estoy de regreso. He hecho algunos ejercicios, pero no tanto como me hubiera gustado…. Espero poder estudiar duro el resto de la semana, por que ayer, estaba echándole una mirada a mi libro de aritmética y todavía me falta mucho por estudiar y si quiero lograr mi objetivo de terminar mi revisión de matemáticas este año tengo que estudiar duramente.

Este es un resumen de lo que he hecho hasta ahora, el primer grupo de ejercicios, fue sobre ese tipo de problemas en los cuales se tienen diferentes cantidades y tienes su diferencia y suma y tienes que encontrar las cantidades o las edades. En este grupo, de 12 preguntas, tuve 2 malas por lo tanto 84% estuvo bien y 16% mal. El problema fue que tome algunos problemas de una manera no adecuada, o por donde no era, por ejemplo en vez de sumar algo lo restaba.aunque entendía bien los problemas de manera general.

Los otros dos grupos de preguntas fue también sobre tantas veces algo y sobre edades. Todos estos problemas los tuve correctos, I creo que lo que en realidad me ayudo, fue el hecho que estuve muy concentrada y sin distracciones. En total resolví 12 ejercicios, 100% bien.

Los otros dos sets, fueron sobre ese tipo de problemas en los cuales dos carros parten de distintas ciudades hacia un punto en común y salen a distintas horas y velocidades, y de todos los problemas que he realizado se puede decir que esta es la primera vez en la que he disfrutado algún grupo. Me ha parecido un grupo de ejercicios muy interesante y me ha encantado aprender sobre ellos. En un total de 15 problemas me la embarre en 3, por lo tanto, el 20% estuvo mal y el 80% restante estuvo bien. Uno de los errores que tuve fue muy tonto, fue un error en una suma. Pero los otros dos si me preocuparon mucho, ya que uno tuvo que ver con el hecho que leí el problema mal, y la respuesta por supuesto salio mala. El otro problema fue que hice todo bien, análisis, operaciones, etc. Pero di otra respuesta a la que me solicitaban en este problema. (por ejemplo, en el problema me preguntaban por distancia y respondí horas) lo que creo es que estos problemas se deben a falta de concentración. TENGO QUE TRABAJAR EN ESTA AREA!

Los otros dos grupos de problemas, trataban sobre los problemas en los cuales se tienen varias bolsas con dinero y tienes que decir cuanta plata hay en esas bolsas. Y el otro grupo, fue sobre esos horribles ejercicios, en los cuales tienes una cierta cantidad de dinero al principio y luego ganas otro tanto y pierdes otro tanto y al final tienes que decir cuanta platas tenias al inicio de todo este tiempo. Este último grupo de problemas fue muy difícil para mi, creo en gran parte por que estaba cansada del trabajo. Cantidad de problemas: 9. Problemas malos: 3, por lo tanto, 33% estuvo mal y 77% bien. El otro problema que vi es que en un ejercicio que estaba fácil, confundí los nombres de las respuestas que debía dar, así que otra recomendación es no confiarse mucho en los problemas fáciles y tratarlos a todos como difíciles.

P.D: Alguien sabe como añadir archivos al blog? Tengo una buena cantidad de cosas practicas del GMAT, pero no se como añadirlas a la pagina.
 
posted by Catalina at 8/24/2005, |

6 Comments:

  At 8/24/2005 9:04 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
I really admire Cata's dedication to her Gmat studies. It amazes me how much time she spents in front of those math problems, and still has time for me... I am sure she will succed in the tests.

And that math problem wasn't that hard... I guess. Good thing is that it helped me gaining confidence in my math skills... forgoten for soooo long.

Keep it up baby, and kick some Gmat rears...
when are you taking GMAT? Best of luck for the same. a tip - make sure you get to 80ile in both sections.
are you planning to apply for fall 2006??
Good to c u working on the GMAT beast......practice practice n more practise and u can tame it
Hi Andy, thanks a lot for your good wishes... and yeah, sometimes I wonder how can I do all of that stuff. =)
Hi Anand, Thanks for your advice, that is a goal, to be a good percentile position. I will be applying for fall 2.007
Hi Paaji, thanks, well yes, that is what I am trying to do... keep on practicing, I hope this can help me to improve my score.