Doctor´s Diagnose

July 04, 2006
Two weeks ago I went to Barranquilla to visit my family. I was really happy to see them and the time with them all off their love and care helped me feel better and renewed but the most important thing was my visit to my doctor... After asking him why I was so damn tired the whole day and why even if I had slept well and after telling him all the symptoms and stuff, he told me that I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Of course after that I started to make some research about the subject and I found that I have a lot of the symptoms, but I think that I don’t have the disease in such a terrible way.

O.k. Let me explain a little bit more about the subject (or at least what I found so far) this is a disease that is becoming more and more common between young people between 20 and 50 years old. The reason why it happens is still unknown, there are several theories: 1. Excess of work and stress 2.Virus. In my case it was the first cause. There a lot of symptoms but the ones that I present are:
1. Extreme fatigue that has lasted at least six months; is not the result of ongoing effort; is not substantially relieved by rest; and causes a substantial reduction in daily activities.
2. Unrefreshing sleep.
3. Substantial impairment in memory/concentration.

I am not totally sure that I suffer a 100% of this disease because there some other symptoms that I don’t present, but what is clear is two things: 1. That I’ve been too tired for quite a long time. 2. I am not the same energetic person that I have always been.

The good news is that now I know that I have a disease, is not like that I don’t want to study... Is just that I am not a 100% well, and knowing what you have help you relax. The bad news... Easy! That I have this *&$% thing...

Treatment? Well there isn’t just one thing to do, there is not like a standard thing to do... so in my case: exercise, diet, taking vitamins and supplements, and a pill that will help me get more focused, taking things easy and not worrying too much about little things, relaxation, and resting better. My doctor also recommended me not to take vacations, but rather building a better daily routine.
 
posted by Catalina at 7/04/2006, |

8 Comments:

  At 7/05/2006 4:07 AM Anonymous Anonymous said:
frm wht i knw im dead sure that u can get better of this shit called "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome"

Keep smiling
Thanks Piyu, I know I will... Anyway, the most important thing is knowing what I have to fight against... =)
I think movement is extremely important. Dont stay too long in front of the computer and walk around the block a couple of times a day. That helps me to relax and get new ideas for my problems. Some people actually do this unknowingly by "going for a smoke", but since I know you dont smoke, you should try the healthy version...
Thanks Marche, In fact right now I am feeling really tired and I was going to splash some cold water in my face... I think I will follow your advice.
  At 7/06/2006 7:18 AM Anonymous Anonymous said:
Hello,

Thought this might help you. I had similar problem sometime ago when i had first started working.
I think it's because of doing too much of one kind of a thing. I was able to recover 100% in a few months:

What helped me recover is:
a) Excercise (read aerobics)
2) Multivitamins and synthetic supplements coupled with an increase of protein in daily diet.

The 1st factor is very important, paradoxical though it might sound.
I think it mitigates the fatigue. I have often found that when i stop my running/sports regime i get more tired. WIth excercise and proper diet you caan fit in a 10-12 hr workday + 1 hr excercise and 2 hr studies.

Good luck for your GMAT.
Hi Aashim, Well It´s really good to know that I am not the only person who had this thing... How long did it took you to recover? I also read that protein increase is really good, so I think I am going to try it too...
  At 7/06/2006 12:20 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
I think it took me a month or a little more to completely recover. Most doctors agree that mental perception is the most important. Don't think of ourself as a victim. Just do the right things as other people and i have mentioned and don't think about it too much.

I am sure you'll be fine very soon. Let us now.
  At 9/07/2006 7:32 AM Anonymous Anonymous said:
SIX MONTHS?!!
now thats quite a long period.

take care, girl.
how are you doing now?
hope u r recovered now.
try yoga-& relaxation / breathing techniques.

aim-wsc